Important NewsSecurity & Incidents

UNICEF Says Floods in Afghanistan Leave Dozens Dead and Hundreds of Homes Destroyed

The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) says recent floods in Afghanistan have left dozens dead and injured, and destroyed hundreds of homes as well as parts of critical infrastructure.

The agency reported on Sunday, 1 September, that the incidents occurred between July 20 and August 3 in central and eastern Afghanistan and affected the lives of many residents.

According to UNICEF, Parun district in Nuristan province was among the worst-hit areas. The report said 24 people were killed and 125 injured in the district, while several others remain missing.

UNICEF added that 120 homes in Parun were destroyed or damaged. A private health centre, local markets, bridges, roads and water supply networks were also damaged by the floods.

In central Afghanistan, floods in nine provinces left two people dead and six injured. According to the report, 316 homes were damaged in these areas and about 2,057 people were affected.

UNICEF warned that the floods may have displaced or exposed munitions and explosive materials that had previously been buried underground, a development that could pose new risks to local residents.

Nuristan province is located in eastern Afghanistan and, because of its mountainous terrain and difficult access, is considered one of the areas vulnerable to natural disasters, including floods.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button