US Deploys USS George Washington to the Middle East

The U.S. Central Command, or CENTCOM, said on Wednesday that the aircraft carrier USS George Washington and accompanying warships had entered the Middle East operational area.
The carrier is set to replace the USS Abraham Lincoln, which is returning to the United States after reports of widespread problems with crew conditions and support.
The Associated Press had previously reported that the George Washington left the coast of Vietnam last week and was heading into the Indian Ocean. According to reports, the Abraham Lincoln has been at sea since November 2025.
In recent weeks, reports have emerged about conditions aboard the Abraham Lincoln, including suicides among sailors, attempts by some to jump overboard, and concerns over food and hygiene on the carrier. Those reports prompted the U.S. Congress and the families of personnel stationed on the ship to seek new investigations.
The New York Times also reported that the Abraham Lincoln’s support and logistics problems worsened after, according to the newspaper, the U.S. naval base in Bahrain suffered severe damage at the start of the war and was taken out of service. U.S. officials said that despite the continuing reviews, the U.S. government announced on Friday that the Abraham Lincoln was returning to the country.
CENTCOM is responsible for U.S. military operations across much of the Middle East, and the movement of U.S. aircraft carriers in this area is usually seen as part of the operational posture of U.S. forces in the region.




