Important NewsInternational

US Expresses Concern Over Blast at School in Dasht-e-Barchi

The US State Department says it is aware of reports of an explosion at an educational centre in Kabul’s Dasht-e-Barchi area that left dozens of students injured, an incident that has once again highlighted concerns over the security of educational facilities in western Kabul.

A State Department spokesperson told Voice of America on Thursday: “We are aware of reports of an explosion at an educational centre in Kabul. Investigations into this attack are under way.” The US official did not explain whether the investigations referred to an inquiry by international bodies or by Taliban administration institutions.

The explosion occurred on Monday evening, 26 August, inside the compound of the private Shama Hedayat school in the Mahdia town area of Dasht-e-Barchi in Kabul’s 18th district. According to local sources and international organisations, most of those injured were children aged nine to 14.

UNAMA has confirmed that at least 42 children were injured, while officials at Shama Hedayat school said the number of wounded was 52. Emergency Hospital also said 35 children with shrapnel wounds were transferred to the hospital, and at least three of them required surgery.

No individual or group has yet claimed responsibility for the incident. Taliban administration officials have said the blast was caused by the throwing of a hand grenade, but some witnesses said that as students were leaving, several grenades were thrown into the school compound by motorcycle riders.

In response to the incident, UNICEF stressed the protection of children and educational centres, saying that under international law schools must be kept safe from violence and harm. The United Nations also condemned the blast and called for an independent investigation. The UN special rapporteur on human rights in Afghanistan described the incident as a “horrific attack” and called for a full and independent inquiry.

Dasht-e-Barchi, a largely Hazara and Shiite area in western Kabul, has been repeatedly targeted in deadly attacks in recent years. In this area, educational centres, mosques, hospitals and public gatherings have previously been targeted by groups such as Islamic State Khorasan, including the attack on Sayyid al-Shuhada school in 2021, the Kaaj educational centre in 2022, the Mawoud educational centre in 2018 and the 100-bed Dasht-e-Barchi hospital in 2020.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button